|Brand name(s), other common name(s)||Sprycel®|
|Drug type||Tyrosine kinase inhibitor|
|How the drug is given||Oral|
Indications and Usage
Dasatinib is FDA approved to treat
- Newly diagnosed adults with Philadelphia chromosome-positive (Ph+) chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) in chronic phase.
- Adults with chronic, accelerated, or myeloid or lymphoid blast phase Ph+ CML with resistance or intolerance to prior therapy including imatinib.
- Adults with Philadelphia chromosome-positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia (Ph+ ALL) with resistance or intolerance to prior therapy.
- Pediatric patients 1 year of age and older with Ph+ CML in chronic phase.
- Pediatric patients 1 year of age and older with newly diagnosed Ph+ ALL in combination with chemotherapy.
Tell your doctor if you have any other medical conditions, especially if you have a liver or heart problem or are lactose intolerant.
Side effects needing medical attention
Fever; bleeding or easy bruising; swelling; weight gain; increasing shortness of breath.
Dasatinib may increase the risk of a rare but serious condition in which there is abnormally high blood pressure in the arteries of the lungs (pulmonary arterial hypertension [PAH]). Symptoms of PAH may include shortness of breath, fatigue, and swelling of the body (such as the ankles and legs).
For information on how to manage the costs of drug therapy, please see Financial Support, or to speak with an Information Specialist, call (800) 955-4572.