Note about ongoing service for all financial assistance programs:
The current situation has affected the program wait times in all areas, including wait times on the phones, claims and application processing. Current phone wait times are longer than usual, and can be as long as one hour. Assisting our patients is of the highest priority. The portals are always open, and you can continue to use your virtual pharmacy card without a delay.
We are diligently working to assist patients as quickly as possible. Thank you for your understanding and patience during this time.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's (LLS) Susan Lang Pay-It-Forward Patient Travel Assistance program is available to blood cancer patients, with significant financial need, who may qualify to receive $500 in financial assistance for approved expenses which include: ground transportation, tolls, gas, parking, car rental, services, repairs and parts, air transportation, baggage fees, lodging, and ambulance services.
Please note the following expenses are not covered: food and beverages, alcohol, tobacco, clothing, medical/pharmacy expenses, and international travel. Any expense not covered by the program may be subject to audit and may result in loss of award.
This page contains information about the following topics:
- Available Funding
- Program Eligibility Criteria
- Apply Now
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- We Want to Hear How This Program Has Helped You!
- Patient Travel Assistance Benefits and Taxable Income
- Contact Information
- Program Support
- Other Helpful Resources
To access this page in Spanish, click here.
The following funds are now accepting phone and portal applications
- Pennsylvania Travel Fund
The Pennsylvania travel fund is supported by the Pennsylvania Department of Health through funding secured by Senator Pat Browne. This fund assists blood cancer patients in the state of Pennsylvania.
- Juniata & Perry County Pennsylvania Travel Fund
The Juniata & Perry County PA travel fund will assist Leukemia patients living in either Juniata or Perry County in Pennsylvania. For a list of covered Leukemia diagnoses click here. For a list of eligible zip codes click here.
The following funds are fully subscribed and closed to enrollment:
A fund that is "fully subscribed" is at maximum capacity, serving those enrolled, and is no longer accepting applications (new or renewal patients). Renewal patients are those who have received assistance through our program in the past and continue to reapply.
- General Fund
- Pediatric Fund
- Myeloma Fund
- Central and Southern California Travel Fund
The Central and Southern California travel fund is supported by Stater Brothers Charities for use limited to the Central and Southern California chapters. Click here for a list of zip codes in Central and Southern California.
**As a non-profit organization, we rely on the generosity of our sponsors. Program continuation is dependent on the availability of funds and the program could be modified or discontinued at any time if funding is limited or no longer available. Please visit our website in the future to become aware of new funding.**
- Have a household income that is at or below 500 percent of the U.S. federal poverty guidelines as adjusted by the Cost of Living Index (COLI). You will be asked for your zip code to determine your COLI.
- Be a United States citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. or U.S. territories.
- Have a blood cancer diagnosis confirmed by a doctor
- Patient must be in active treatment, scheduled to begin treatment, or is being monitored by their doctor.
- Patients may be insured or uninsured
If a patient has received travel assistance through a local chapter travel program within the last 6 months, they should not apply. Patients cannot receive travel assistance both locally and nationally.
STEP 1: Gather the following information:
- The patient’s demographic information (including their Social Security number and date of birth) and their contact information
- If the patient is a minor, you will need a guardian Social Security number as well.
- The name of the diagnosis.
- Household financial income.
- The name of treating physician and his/her phone/fax numbers.
- This information will not be shared and is for verification purposes only.
STEP 2: Contact the program
- By Phone: (877) 557-2672
Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET
- Online Portals: For Patients | For Medical Healthcare Providers
24/7, Available in English only
Awards are based on a first-come first-served basis, for as long as funding is available. Submitting the application doesn't guarantee acceptance in the program. Your application will be reviewed, and you will be notified of your status.
**UPDATE DUE TO COVID-19**
For new applicants, in the event that you are unable to get your doctor to sign off on the Diagnosis Verification Form for your application, we will accept a portion of your electronic medical record (EMR) or other documentation that shows the diagnosis/ICD-10 code.
Please note, this is a temporary workaround given the national health emergency.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is pleased to share the story behind our Susan Lang Pay-It-Forward Patient Travel Assistance Program:
We would love to hear how the financial assistance provided by LLS has helped you. Patient stories help us illustrate the impact and importance of this program in the lives of blood cancer patients.
To submit a story by mail, please send to:
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Patient Financial Assistance Programs
3 International Drive, Suite 200, Rye Brook, NY 10573
Thank you for sharing!
As a charity, LLS is exempt from federal income tax and individuals who receive assistance from a charity to meet their personal needs do not generally have to pay federal income tax on the value of the assistance they receive. With this being said it should not effect their ability to receive financial assistance from the government or effect their income taxes.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Susan Lang Pay-It-Forward Patient Travel Assistance Program
PO Box 12268
Newport News, VA 23612
Toll Free Number: (877) 557-2672
Fax: (866) 808-3793
LLS is a nonprofit organization that relies on the generosity of individual, foundation and corporate contributions to advance its mission. The Susan Lang Pay-It-Forward Patient Travel Assistance program is supported by:
- Lang/Stiglitz Family Fund
- Stater Brothers Charities
- Bristol-Meyers Squibb
- The Pennsylvania chapters thank Senator Pat Browne for securing the funding through the PA Department of Health to benefit those suffering from Leukemia, Lymphoma and Myeloma.
- Funding for the Juniata & Perry County PA fund was provided via a Trust established by an anonymous donor.
Pediatric funds were received cy-pres from the Office of the New York Attorney General.